Robinson and Cleaver’s store opened at Castle Place in 1874, before moving to High Street a few years later. After another seven years, Robinson and Cleaver had established the largest postal trade in the city.    Young and MacKenzie built their new store at the corner of Donegall Place and Donegall Square North, making ‘dramatic use of its advantageous corner site’. Originally a linen warehouse, the building had six storeys, a clock tower, ogee copper domes, and a flock of Donatello cherubs carved by Harry Helms of Exeter. Also featured were the 50 stone heads of the firm’s supposed patrons, including Queen Victoria, the Emperor and Empress of Germany, Lady Dufferin, and General Washington, plus symbolic references to distant marketplaces. The Victorian building was finished in 1888. The high-class store was very choosy in the selection of its staff. Staff knew their clientele, and stressed personal service, with customers regularly notified of new items. Known as ‘the old lady,’ the store was noted for its attractive window displays and outstanding seasonal decorations. It also contained a magnificent marble staircase.